History of Bonneville County
The County was established February 7, 1911 from the north and east parts of Bingham county. It was named for Captain B. L. E. Bonneville, of the U. S. Army, who explored the Snake River area in the 1830s. A settlement began at the site of the Eagle Rock ferry on the Snake River in 1864, this settlement was renamed Idaho Falls in 1891. More than half the county is in the Targhee and Caribou National Forests. It includes the Gray's Lake National Wildlife Refuge. Major industries include farming and the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory under the direction of The U.S. Department of Energy. It covers 1,897 square miles.